Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life's little contradictions...

I’m not a radical, nor a vegan/vegetarian. I love grilled chicken. What I do advocate is humanity for animals. In order to put food on the table, there’s no need to be cruel. Perhaps, humans should take animals as an example; they only kill when they feel threatened or to eat. This leads me to think that sometimes animals can be more humane than humans. People sometimes use their animals to satisfy their sadistic tendencies. Since when is beheading a dog with a knife political protest? Or starving a dying dog, art? (Someone should confine Guillermo Vargas to an elevator without food and water for weeks to awaken his artistic side!)
As grotesque as viewing or knowing about these acts might be, if everyone tries to ignore them, due to their sensibilities, who will stand up for our innocent, wordless companions? Contrary to popular belief, one doesn’t have to be strictly vegetarian to advocate compassion towards animals. It is not a contradiction. It should be every human’s responsibility. As the great Mahatma Gandhi once said:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated…I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by [people] from the cruelty of [human kind].”

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa , so great to come across your blog, and to see you rsre in MIA. Im in Hollywood myself. My fiancee and I try to live a life that has the least impact on the earth and the animals that inhabit it.
    So nice to see my fav quote by Gandhi as well! Keep up the great blog

    ReplyDelete